Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Dragonsong by Anne McCaffrey

So my volume includes; Dragonsong, Dragonsinger and Dragondrums. But I'm reviewing them seperately. :)
Dragonsong I think is my favorite of the three. This story is one of the very first sci-fi books I ever read, I was probably eight or nine. i used to stay up and read and re-read this book. This actually introduced me to Anne McCaffrey. Now I love this story for a couple of reasons. First the main character, Menolly. I empathized with her so much, she was an outcast. I often felt like one, not because of musical talents but I was too smart for my own good and didn't have any/many friends. I still love that aspect even though I don't feel the same way, the situation is presented in a very honest way and I can appreciate that now. Then there were dragons, and their smaller cousins, fire lizards, they were utterly charming creatures. I wanted more! And finally I love the idea of surviving on your own, not depending on anyone else for your survival. Just a wonderful book!

Rating: 5 stars, I have owned this book for over 20 years. Sadly it is starting to fall apart and one day soon I will have to replace it!

Recommendations: The rest of the Harper series obviously! And really any of the Pern books, although I haven't liked the later books near as much.

140 pages in an hour... although I've read this story so many times I almost don't have to read it all!

1 comment:

  1. Hey many thanks to Anne! She sent me a new copy of this book!! Thanks!!!!

    ReplyDelete