Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Bambi: A Life in the Woods by Felix Salten

If you are thinking of the Disney movie by the same name, forget it. The book is absolutely nothing like that. It is a serious and rather philosophical story of a life in the woods. There is something very deliberate and deeply moving about this story. The animals are not simply cute and fuzzy creatures. They have an animals understanding of their world. There is nothing condescending about the portrayal of them. I'm sure there are plenty of people who have analyzed this book and found it to be an allegory for all sorts of things. But I found it to be about as honest a look at life in the woods as we can understand or imagine. And there is wisdom in that.

Rating: 5 stars, I first read this story when I was 8 years old. I actually read the book before I saw the Disney version. I was repulsed by the movie, it was so infantalized and so cutesy that I couldn't even reconcile the book and movie.

No recommendations for this one.

191 took me a little over an hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment