Friday, September 11, 2009

9/11

I was trying to think of something stirring and inspirational for 9/11, it's been eight years but I've got nothing.... I remember the day so clearly, I woke up, late (I had missed my early class) and went to go take a shower. There was a radio playing and there was no music playing... after a little while I realized that there was still no music... and what seemed more ominous, no commercials. I turned up the volume in time to hear the DJ saying that the NY Port Authority was closing all the bridges and tunnels into NY.... I wondered what the hell was going on. I hurried, rinsed my hair and ran back to my room... in time to hear that a *plane* had flown into one of the towers of the World Trade Center. A few minutes later I saw the second plane hit. I have never seen a TV anchor speechless but I did that day. I was glued to the TV, I switched channels but quickly realized that all the news networks were sharing feeds so it didn't matter anyway. I saw the people jumping and everything. Then they showed a wide shot, and my roommate said "wait I thought there were *two* towers" the first tower had fallen. They showed shots of the firefighters running into the other tower and then it fell. That was when I got upset, I realized that all those brave firefighters couldn't possibly have survived that. I called my mom at work, I called the school and when the receptionist, Mary I answered I told them to turn on the TV.... she told me they knew and that I couldn't talk to Mom right then but that she'd tell her I called and was fine. I was glued to the TV *all* day.... I didn't go to class, but later I went across town to my boyfriends. At about 10 or 11 PM I finally turned off the TV knowing that if they weren't finding any survivors by then they weren't going to... they did find a few more but it was horrible. So, no inspiration here, just sad memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment