Wednesday, July 27, 2011

A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett

This was one of my favorite books as a child. I found the story, and still do, so poignant and so richly drawn. I love the main character, she is so solemn and intelligent. She is also courteous and kind. In a lot of ways I wanted to be like her when I was a kid. She was pampered but not spoiled and she wondered if she would still be a good person (a princess) if her circumstances were not so kind. Even as a child I found this a very adult book in some ways. There are complicated undertones to the story that you really only appreciate as an adult, this is why I continue to read and re-read this book. It's still a wonderful children's story but it is also a coming of age story and a commentary on social class. I love it. This particular edition has absolutely gorgeous illustrations by Graham Rust. I have an edition of The Secret Garden with the same illustrator.

Rating: 5 stars

Recommendations: Read the Secret Garden by the same author.

192 pages took about an hour and half

1 comment:

  1. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE The Secret Garden, and The Little Princess is my sister's all time favorite book. You are right, both are great children's and adult books. I'd like to see those illustrations!

    ReplyDelete