Friday, April 1, 2011

The Tower and the Hive by Anne McCaffrey

This was a really disappointing finish to this series. There wasn't much to the plot, characters were introducing and then seemingly forgotten about. Even the "romances" were tepid. And the so called "resolution" to the whole five book series was all wrapped up within the last 20 pages or so.... I had read this one when it came out, no wonder I didn't remember it! I was hugely disappointed. This is the sort of work that makes me not want to read any more of McCaffrey's books, and her early stuff is so great!! This was an easier read than usual, probably because there wasn't much going on! There was a whole terrorist plot that came to nothing!! It was introduced, the Talents said "oh yeah we know all about it" and then almost nothing came of it, this is something that would have been explored in earlier books. The Rowan had a lot of time devoted to psychological issues, and this time around there was almost nothing of that sort. That's one of the things that made The Rowan such a rich story, there was depth to it! *sigh* Very disappointing.

Rating: 2 stars

Recommendations: Read Ms. McCaffrey's earlier stuff!! The Crystal singer books, the early Dragonrider books... I have liked some of the stuff that she's co-written with other people too. Although I have not read any of the stuff she's co-written with her son... About 10 years ago or so I read a Pern short story that was sooo *bad* that I haven't been able to bring myself to read any Pern books since then. Although I have heard some good things about her son's work.

302 pages only took me about 2 hours to read, lots of blank and half pages with graphics, plus it just wasn't written very well!

No comments:

Post a Comment