Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Beautiful and Abundant by Bryan Welch

I read this book after I went to a book signing by Bryan Welch. I really enjoyed his talk and subsequent conversation so I had to get his book. Basically the author argues that environmentalists have done a great disservice to the environmental movement by focusing so much on all the negatives. He argues that we should instead be focused on what we want our future to look like. He argues that when pondering our actions we should ask ourselves a series of four queries; they are: Is it beautiful? Is it fair? Does it create abundance? And is it contagious? He does acknowledge that there are huge challenges to be faced but feels confident in our ability to overcome them. I really enjoyed this book, especially the meditations that he included in between chapters. He shares personal stories from his childhood and from his life on his farm. I found a lot of his stories familiar to me. I have similar stories from my life with animals.

Rating: 5 stars

Recommendations: Bryan Welch owns Ogden publishing, which publishes among other things, Mother Earth News Magazine. The magazine is all about sustainability, in all different aspects of life. The magazine has tons of book recommendations, I would check out their website: www.motherearthnews.com

276 pages in about 2 and half hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment