Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The Magic of Recluse by L.E. Modesitt, Jr.

I read this years ago and realized that I missed a lot of things. So here I am re-reading it, I really enjoyed this book. The concept of magic in this series is interesting. The characters had some depth. The plot was fun. This book makes you think more than your average fantasy, I think. The author likes to imply things, and not outright say them, it makes for a more challenging read but enjoyable. I like that the author assumes that the reader is intelligent enough so everything doesn't have to be spelled out. I will definitely read more in this series.

Rating: 4 stars

Recommendations: So apparently the author says that the books should be read in the published order. But, if you want to follow this character, Lerris, the next book is Death of Chaos. This book apparently takes place very late in the chronology of Recluse, but it doesn't seem to matter too much. I just get attached to a character and want to stay with them.

501 pages took me about 4 hours I think (I was on vacation so I wasn't really paying attention!)

No comments:

Post a Comment