Sunday, January 15, 2012

Abby & Ophelia Mystery Series by Shirley Damsgaard

So, since I read the last 5 books in the series all in a row I decided to simply review them as a series. I reviewed Charmed to Death and the remaining 5 books were (in order): The Trouble with Witches, Witch Hunt, The Witch is Dead, The Witch's Grave, and The Seventh Witch. As I've mentioned in the previous reviews one thing that drove me crazy was how the main character is so inconsistent, she knows she needs to learn to trust her intuition but routinely ignores it, and how she always wants to protect others but puts herself in unnecessary danger. I am pleased to say that over the course of the series a lot of these things are improved. By Seventh Witch I was really starting to like Ophelia and she was (finally!) getting more comfortable with her powers. I'm also really glad that there was finally some romance for Ophelia! Unfortunately, the actual mystery part of most of the books were fairly predictable. The clues were too blatant (at least to me, Ophelia seems pretty dense about her intuition) and not enough red herrings to make you *think* you had it figured out. There wasn't even much of a reveal for the how's and why's of the crime. So, the rating:
3 stars out of 5

If you liked this series try: Bewitching Mysteries series by Madelyn Alt or The Psychic Eye Mysteries by Victoria Laurie.

All of these books were around 250 pages and took me maybe 3 hours a piece!

No comments:

Post a Comment